Monday, September 27, 2010

HUSTON:Primary Source #2: AU10

"Baby" Lyrics: By, Justin Bieber
http://www.metrolyrics.com/baby-lyrics-justin-bieber.html

These lyrics by Justin Bieber strongly demonstrate how pop culture influences people's views regarding what they think love is. The lyrics talk about love, broken hearts, and always being together. There is a line in the lyrics that explicitly says, "When I was thirteen I had my first love." When you are thirteen, how could you possibly know what real love is? The only ideas you have about love are, more than likely, generalizations that you gathered from sources such as movies and the internet. Young girls are getting the wrong message about what love truly is because of songs such as these. He even mentions how he thinks about this girl when he is on the playground. Should children who are young enough to be playing on playgrounds really be sending out messages about what love is? I sure don't think so.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your post on this song by Justin Beiber. Even though I don't listen to him I have heard this song a few times. The same questions arose in my mind. How can someone honestly know what true love is at thirteen years old? I dont believe for a second anyone at this age could. Wrong messages are being sent to young people today regarding relationships and love and it's fundamentally transforming society's outlook on romance. I don't believe this change is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really nice, I think this song can break down into many different kinds of meanings of love. It's definitely a potential material that we can develop. However, I think you should find some better questions that can best reveal the author's intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with what you said. It also almost puts pressure on younger kids to try to date because that is what their heros are doing, even though kids that young dont even understand what dating is or means.

    ReplyDelete