Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Smith: Primary Source Number 1: Au10

Link to "Twix Java" commercaial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5eZ424q758
This is a commercial for the "Twix Java" candy bar that I saw aired on television today. In the commercial, a text is received by the man's phone that is first read by his girlfriend whom he is sitting with. She questions him about the text because someone named Terri to the man "I need you right now." The commercial then breaks and an announcer says "Need a moment? Now try 'Twix Java' . . ." The man then makes up an excuse saying that Terri is his boss. The audience can tell this is a lie because moments later, another text is received from Terri saying, "Don't forget the whipped cream," to which the man replies: "for his latte."

This add promotes infidelity and lying to one's partner to cover-up wrong doing. The people in the commercial seem to be in a relationship where the man is being unfaithful and the woman is to trusting to see what her boyfriend is doing. This add is meant to be funny and to be remembered for it's humor, but it is also very offensive. It plays into the hands of people who believe it is acceptable to be unfaithful in a relationship, but would it be as effective for viewers who value a monogamous faithful relationship? Would this commercial have a positive effect on someone who holds strong values to telling the truth? I do not think it would.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your assessment of this commercial. I believe in being faithful and telling the truth no matter what. It almost makes me sick to watch commercials, ads, or movies where things like this happen. These types of situations definitely do not appeal to me. It's interesting to point out the exact demographic this ad is aimed toward. I guess the company figures the majority of the population does not frown upon actions like those in this commercial. And sadly, I would have to agree. Great analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really a interesting topic and I believe if you do a little more research about this topic and find some more background information about it you will develop a very attractive analytical paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this commercial sends a bad message, but I won't lie; I did find myself chuckling when I read your description of what is said in the commercial. Now, I definitely stand for a monogamous relationship, so that makes a person wonder if the humor alone is enough to overpower the clash in morals...

    ReplyDelete